- Politique étrangère et européenne
- Relations économiques internationales
- Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Affairs
- La défense
Union citizen and his family member also Union citizen
Conditions for a stay superior to three months
The Union citizen has the right to reside in Luxembourg for more than three months if one of the conditions below is fulfilled:
- he/she is either a wage-earning worker or an independent worker;
- he/she disposes of sufficient resources for himself/herself and his/her family members so that they don’t become an unreasonable burden for the social assistance system, and dispose of a health insurance;
- he/she is a registered fulltime student in a recognized public or private institution in Luxembourg, or here to complete a professional training. In this case, he/she must also dispose of sufficient resources for himself/herself and his/her family members so that they don’t become an unreasonable burden for the social assistance system, and dispose of a health insurance.
Procedure to follow upon arrival on territory
The Union citizen, as well as the family members also Union citizens wanting to reside in Luxembourg for more than three months must contact their municipality (“Administration communale”) of their place of residence to request for the issue of a Registration Attestation (“Attestation d’enregistrement”) for the following categories:
- salaried worker
- independent worker
- family member (himself/herself Union citizen) of another Union citizen
|Remark: The replacement of the Registration Attestation can be applied for by using the same form, ticking the adequate type of application on the front page and by enclosing the documents requested for the replacement of the Registration Attestation.|
Working in Luxembourg
The Union citizen is authorised to work in Luxembourg without needing to apply for a work permit first, except for Croatian nationals. These have to request a work permit first, as long as the transitional provisions relating to the Accession Treaty are still applicable.
For further information on the procedure to be followed, please see:
The applicant can appoint somebody to apply for a work permit for him/her. In this case, the appointed person (proxy), except for juridical consultants, must have a duly signed and dated mandate from the principal. The signature on this mandate must be preceded by the hand-written phrase “good for power of attorney”.
Stay superior to five years
After five years of uninterrupted residence in Luxembourg, the Union citizen is entitled to permanent residence in the country.
The family members having resided with him/her for an uninterrupted period of five years are entitled to a Permanent Residence Attestation (“Attestation de séjour permanent”) if they are also Union citizens. The application is to be sent to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (address: B.P. 752, L-2017 Luxembourg).
|Remark: The replacement of the Permanent Residence Attestation can be applied for by using the same form, ticking the adequate type of application on the front page and by enclosing the documents requested for the replacement of the Permanent Residence Attestation.|